In order to become licensed as a broker in Pennsylvania, a real estate licensee must meet both education and experience requirements.
Pennsylvania Broker Licensure
16 credits or 240 hours of instruction is required from the categories below.
6 credits or 90 hours in at least three of courses below
|Real Estate Finance||3|
|Real Estate Investment||2|
|Real Estate Sales||2|
|Valuation of Residential Property (Appraisal)||2|
|Valuation of Income Producing Property (Appraisal)||2|
|Residential Property Management||2|
|Non-Residential Property Management||2|
GHRI offers at least 5 of these annually!
4 credits or 60 hours (must take both)
|Real Estate Law||2|
|Real Estate Office Management||2|
GHRI offers both of these annually!
6 credits or 90 hours in any approved Broker elective credit course
|ABR®, Accredited Buyer’s Representative|
|CNE® 1, Certified Negotiation Expert|
|CNE® Advanced Concepts Course|
|CSP®, Certified New Home Sales Professional|
|GREEN®, Day 1 & 2|
|SRS®, Seller Representative Specialist|
|SRES®, Seniors Real Estate Specialist|
GHRI offers at least 5 of these annually!
- 1 broker credit = 15 hours
- Maximum of 4 credits per study area
- All elective courses must be approved by the PA SPREC for each education provider in order to be approved for a broker elective credit.
Pennsylvania Broker Licensee Requirements
- Must be 21 years of age and have obtained a high school diploma or its equivalent
- Must have at least three years experience as a licensed real estate salesperson
- Complete 16 credits or 240 hours of instruction within 10 years prior to date of passing licensing exam.
- Satisfy at least 200 points in experience. You can find the point system and LINK
Note: points are awarded for full time employment wherein no other points can be earned.
- Have successfully passed both the Pennsylvania and National portions of PSI Broker Real Estate Exam
- Have completed, signed and submitted the licensing application provided by the Pennsylvania Real Estate Commission along with the required fee.
Broker Experience Requirements
Must provide a minimum of 3 years of real estate experience by documenting 200 points using the following point system:
- Sale (Commercial or Residential) – 5 points;
- Exclusive listing which sold (Commercial or Residential) – 5 points;
- Unsold exclusive listing (Commercial or Residential) – 1 point;
- Lease (Commercial) – 5 points;
- Lease (Residential) – 1 point;
- Property Management Assistance (Commercial or Residential) – 6 points/month.
For additional information on Broker Applicant experience requirements, please visit the PA State Real Estate Commission website.
GHRI Broker and Designation Courses
Real Estate Investment (30 hours)
This course covers Real Estate Fundamentals, Forms of Ownership, Taxation, Financing, Mathematical Concepts and Cash Flow Analysis and Projections. Approved for 2 broker credits and 30 hours of CE for the 2020-2022 CE cycle. Course materials provided. Cost is $400. Includes lunch every day…
Senior Real Estate Specialist (SRES) (15 hours)
The SRES Designation Course helps real estate professionals develop the business-building skills and resources for specialization in the 50+ real estate market by expanding knowledge of how life stages impact real estate choices, connecting to a network of resources, and fostering empathy with clients and customers. This is the core course for the SRES Designation, and an elective course for the ABR designation…
Real Estate Law (30 hours)
This is a required course for broker licensure candidates. Topics covered will include: introduction to real property, contract law, the real estate transaction, leases, law and the real estate licensee, counsel of attorney and much more. Approved for 2 broker credits. Cost is $400, plus $50 for the text book. Includes lunch every day…
Real Estate Brokerage and Office Management (30 hours)
This is a required course for broker licensure candidates. Topics will include: Communication, Leadership and Management Skills; Policies and Procedures; Marketing the Office, Company and Properties; Staffing and Recruitment; Training and Coaching your REALTORS®. Approved for 2 Broker credits and 30 hours of PA Real Estate Continuing Education for the 2020-2022 cycle. Cost is $400, plus $30 for text book…
To register for Broker Courses, call (717) 364-3200 or register online in your GHAR Member Portal.
Once a broker candidate has successfully completed the education and experience requirements, they are eligible to sit for the Pennsylvania Broker License Exam. To sit for the exam,
- Complete and mail the Broker Examination Eligibility Application, to the State Real Estate Commission. The cost is $40.
- The Real Estate Commission will contact you with the approval, and send the instructions for taking the state exam. This exam is administered by PSI Examination Services. More information…
- Once you pass the state exam, PSI will give you the required forms to submit to the Real Estate Commission to obtain your license.