Tips for Buyers
- Get professional assistance. Hire a REALTOR® to help you evaluate homes in terms of value and price. With the housing market in a constant state of change, hiring a professional can really assist you.
- Understand the costs of homeownership. Make sure you know the total cost of owning the home you like and are comfortable with it. Remember costs are more than just the purchase price of the home (e.g. utilities, regular maintenance, taxes, insurance, etc.).
- Get qualified for a mortgage. Make sure you are fully qualified to purchase the home in the price range you are looking at based on an interview and pre-approval from a lender.
- Get a home inspection. Always have a professional home inspection as a part of the contract so you know the condition of the home you are buying.
- Understand the forms. Make sure the Seller’s Property Disclosure is properly filled out and that you understand every entry on it.
Tips for Sellers
- Price at TRUE market value. Price is everything. If you do not price your home correctly in the beginning, it will sit on the market and not sell. REALTORS® are trained professionals who can assist you with pricing your home correctly.
- Remove clutter. Place extra “stuff” into storage, etc. Buyers want to imagine their furniture in your house. This is difficult if your home is too cluttered.
- Go neutral. Paint and refresh your home to make it look well-cared for, and fix obvious problems such as leaking faucets, broken windows, etc.
- Clean everything. And, do not forget the outside of your home. Clean up leaves, refresh the mulch, trim bushes and trees, and mow the lawn if needed.
- Have a plan when a showing is scheduled. Clean up and get out of the house. Cage animals or take them for a ride or walk. When someone is viewing your home, you only have one chance to make a first impression. That starts the moment they drive up.